Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

TN Student Suspended For Telling Classmate "Bless You" After Sneeze

Tennessee high school student Kendra Turner claims she was suspended for telling a classmate "bless you" after they sneezed. According to the Dyer County High School student certain phrases and words have been banned by her computer teacher-  "stupid", "my bad", "hang out", and the offending phrase "bless you" are verboten.

Believing her consitutionatl rights were violated, she took to social media to share what happened. Apparently, the teacher told her "We do not do Godly speaking in my class." As far as I know she left God out of it. Simply saying "bless you" shouldn't be offensive, unless you're a liberal or atheist or both.

"I stood up for my belief and said I have a constitutional right to speak about My God!!" the teen wrote on Facebook.
"So if any other teacher wants to get on to me for sticking up for my religion then go right ahead [because] in the end I will win [because] I'm doing what God wants me to do!!!"

Though they won't get into it, the school administration says it has nothing to do with religion.

"We can't discuss discipline issues because of right to privacy of students, but I can say there are two sides to every story," Assistant Principal Lynn Garner told the Dyersburg State Gazette.
"Sometimes people spin things and turn them to make them seem one way, but I cannot discuss anything specific in order to protect the child."
Fox news said the teacher claims the girl shouted "bless you" and disrupted class. She might have, who knows, but bottom line, what right does a teacher have to tell someone what they can or can not say?

More details here.

No comments: