Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Dalai Lama Hearts George W. Bush

Just watched Piers Morgan's CNN interview with the Dalai Lama tonight and was taken by his gentleness and good humour (I've read some of his books, which I highly recommend). But the highlight of the interview was when Piers Morgan asked His Holiness which of the many people he had met had impressed him the most. He first mentions South Africa's Nelson Mandela as impressive, but then launched into (transcript via Newsbusters):

"Of course as individual, individual person, I love President Bush."

"Which one?" asked Morgan.

"The younger one," said the Dalai Lama

Morgan incredulously responded, “Really?”

“Really,” he clarified. "As a human being. Not as a president of America. Sometimes his policy may not be very, very successful. But as a person, as a human being, very nice person. I love him."

Still seemingly mystified by this, Morgan pressed, “But how did you feel that President Bush went to war so much and was responsible for so many deaths if you’re a man of peace?”

"After he sort of start the Iraq sort of crisis then my other occasion meeting with him,” the Dalai Lama replied, “then I expressed to him, ‘I love you, but your policies concerned, I have some reservations’ I told him."

Wow. He "loves" not Clinton or Obama, but George "Dubya" Bush. A man who has been vilified and criticized by so many worldwide, both as a President and a human being. Of course, that love might be a direct response to the manner in which he was treated by Bush-  with honor, dignity and respect. Obama, after all, sent him packing out the back door of the White House, with the garbage in full view. 

Obama, I'm sure, is not crushed. But I'm happy for George. It's a great honor to be loved by the Dalai Lama.


No comments: